The following instructions show you how to export CSI data from the CSI
database. Basically, it involves a one-time preparation of a "Portfolio" in
CSI's Unfair Advantage (UA) program.
Here, we will show you how to exported to either of the following formats,
both of which are compatible with Insider
TA Standard or Professional versions:
- Metastock format (with a limit of 255 symbols per
folder), referred to in UA as "CSIM" or "CSI Metastock" format.
You'll need to know how Insider TA loads
Tip: You might prefer this method if you use Insider TA Professional.
The reason being that when you see the data listed in the File
Entry Panel, each security will have it's full name shown (e.g., "Cotton #2-NYCE"),
in contrast to the symbol reference (e.g., "CT_0_I0B.csv").
The latter is what you see listed in the File Entry Panel when exporting
to ASCII format.
- ASCII format (i.e., pure text files), in a comma-delimited Date|Open|High|Low|Close|Volume field
If you are using Insider TA Standard edition,
then exporting CSI data to ASCII format is your only option (only Insider
TA Professional can read Metastock
Here are the step-by-step instructions:
1) From top menu in UA, select Portfolio, then "Create new portfolio".
This pops up the "Edit Portfolio" button. In that window, do
- In the top field, enter the Name of your new portfolio. Observe how
this will automatically generate a folder of the same name within the
UA directory area. You can keep that Directory name, or enter a new
folder of your choosing. Remember the folder you choose for
later configuration into Insider TA.
- If you desire ASCII output, then...
- Click the ASCII Field Layout tab, and select layout as: "DOHLCV".
This directs UA to output field data in the order "Date, Open,
High, Low, Close, Volume". This is the preferred field order, because
that way Insider TA won't pop up the ASCII
Field Formatter panel (a window in Insider TA) for further
- Uncheck "Form Columns"
- If you desire Metastock output, then...
- Click the CSIM/MS Format Settings tab, and select the desired volume and open
- Regarding the "When directory is full" choices, the
choice is also yours. Unfair Advantage's Metastock capability (denoted
as "CSIM" in their world) follows the vintage 255-symbols-per-folder
limit. Therefore, if your exporting exceeds that limit, the additional
files will obviously have to cascade to another folder. These options
provide the various means of doing this. Take your pick!
- If you are exporting commodities data, then click the "Back
Adjusting" tab. Click the "Add a fixed amount to make non-negative".
Keep "Use only the C++ Back Adjuster" checked on as well.
- Click OK to exit the Edit Portfolio window. This will bring you back
to the "Selecting Data Series - Press F1 for More Information" window
Note: As you can see, there are over a dozen tabs in the Edit
Portfolio window. As you become more familiar with UA's exporting,
you can venture into these other tabs to provide further customizations.
2) In the window titled "Selecting Data Series - Press F1 for
More Information", configure the following:
5) You'll wind up back to UA's main screen. You'll be prompted with "Would
you care to build these hard disk files?". Answer Yes. You'll then
be prompted "Would you like to add some more". You can answer
6) Once the portfolio is created, perform UA's daily updates as usual.
If you are exporting commodities, then keep in mind that commodities
data updates are usually done around 7:30 pm ET. Therefore, when you're
about to download data (either by clicking the EZDownloader, or by selecting "Database
/ Update Database" in UA, it is suggested you change the "Download
Now" pulldown option to "Wait for CBOT and CME".
7) In Insider TA, the following one-time preparations are in order:
- If you exported ASCII files, then make sure your default date format
can accomodate the date structures in the exported files. Dates will
be in the format "20020102", so make sure the data format
is configured as "YMD" in the Config Options Panel
| Miscellaneous | Data Loading section.
- If you exported Metastock (CSIM) data, then no preparation is needed!
Insider TA reads the industry-wide Metastock format.
8) In Insider TA, open the File
Entry Panel and configure a path entry to your exported directory:
- If you exported ASCII files, then the data files generated by UA
will have a ".CSV" extension, so add the path "C:\UA\FILES\FExports\*.CSV".
- If you exported Metastock (CSIM)
data, then add a path that points to the "MASTER" file that
UA created in the exported folder. If using the example folder provided
above, this will be "C:\UA\FILES\FExports\MASTER".
Note: There may be additional Metastock output folders if your
exporting resulted in more than 255 symbols. The folder option you
chose in step (1) above will govern where to look for the additional "MASTER" files
(one MASTER file is always in every Metastock folder).
ALL OF THE ABOVE CONFIGURATIONS ARE A ONE-TIME TASK. FROM HERE ON, EVERYTHING
WILL BE PERFORMED AUTOMATICALLY. SIMPLY UPDATE UA'S DATABASE, THEN START
INSIDER TA AND ACCESS YOUR COMMODITIES "CSV" FILES VIA THE
FILE ENTRY PANEL.
|See any discrepancies or errors in the preceding instructions?
Please let us now!
I change the time interval of the exported data after a Portfolio has
been created? For instance, if they were originally set to a daily interval,
how do I change it to weekly?:
you can. In Unfair Advantage's main screen, pull down the "Select
Portfolio" pulldown, and select the portfolio that you created.
This will fill the list underneath with all the commodities in that portfolio.
You simply highlight the commodity you want to change (for multiple selections,
hold the Shift key down and click the first and last items in the range
of items you wish to highlight), and then click the "Edit" button.
This brings you back to the "Selecting Data Series - Press F1 ...." window,
wherein you can change the periodicity to anything you like.